Sunday, July 29, 2012

Frog on coins


I already took the opportunity of this blog to share with you some coins picturing frogs. I am not a coin collector, but this is always interesting to see what type of coins exist for my topic.
When I browsed the website of the Australian post to buy the stamps I shared with you in my previous post, I came across a nice coin, picturing a frog in color. So I decided to get it, just of the pleasure. This coin is of course only an object for collection and is not intended to be used in daily life, contrarily to the one I already showed in my blog.

Here is the coin, sold in a protective pack.

Here is the other side of the pack.

The frog that is pictures on the coin is a Corroboree Frog (Pseudophryne corroborree)

This species of frog was also pictured on several stamps, including a definitive Australian stamp from 1982.

This frog is very colorful and you understand easily why it was chosen to be pictured on stamps.
'Corroboree' is an Indigenous Australian word for a gathering or meeting where traditionally the attendees paint themselves with yellow markings similar to those of this frog.
Corroboree frogs are the first vertebrates discovered that are able to produce their own poisonous alkaloids. The alkaloid is secreted from the skin as a defense against predation, and potentially against skin infections by microbes. Corroboree frogs are quite unusual in their nature. Not only do they not start breeding until four years of age, they also hibernate during winter under whatever shelter they can find. Males stay with the egg nests and may breed with many females over the course of one season.
The species is highly endangered by man activities.

No comments: