Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Happy Birthday Mister Carter

 
A short post today as I’m very busy these days. I had a busy weekend with the election of the new president and some other stuff. But today is a special day so I wanted to have this post anyway.

Today is the 9th of May. This is my birthday (I was born on the 9th of May 1966) but this is also the 138th anniversary of the birth of a man that fascinated me during my youth: Howard Carter.
Howard Carter was born on the 9th of May 1874 in London. He was an archaeologist and Egyptologist and is known mainly for the discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamun in 1922.
When I was younger, I wanted to become an archaeologist myself and in my dreams I was the new Howard Carter. And at this time I was not even aware we were born on the same day. I’m proud to share this with him!
To illustrate this short post I tried to find stamps picturing Howard Carter but I could not find any. Does anybody know if he ever appeared on a stamp?

As an illustration I selected the three following stamps that are part of the large set of thirty stamps issued by Egypt in 2004 issued to discover the Treasures of Egypt in stamps. I selected the stamps that relate to Tutankhamun: the first one pictures the mortuary mask, the second one the Canopic jars that were found in Tutankhamun’s tomb and the last one pictures the cartouche of the Pharaoh. 


2 comments:

Laura said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY ERIC!

Laura said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY ERIC!