Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Mobile telecommunications on stamps


I had recently an interesting discussion with another stamp collector who is more into, what I would call, traditional philately, as he collects all stamps issued by a specific set of countries. We were discussing about the differences between this sort of stamp collection and the topical approach as mine.  One of the question he raised is : how do you choose your topic? Then I explained that you have to choose a topic which is wide enough to have stamps issued about it but not too wide otherwise your collection could rapidly grow and become expensive. You have to choose a subject you like, something related to your hobbies, for instance, or something you want to learn about. I also mentioned the case of some people who select as the topic of their collection their own professional occupation. I remember this nice nurse who started collecting stamps picturing nurses and who later expended her collection to “Medicine on stamps”. She had a very nice collection.
I do not know if I convinced him to give a try to topical stamp collection, only the future will tell.

But few days later, I was thinking back about this conversation while I was stuck in a traffic jam (which is very often for me, not to say every day). And I was wondering if I could start a collection on stamps related to my professional occupation…
I must tell you that I am an R&D (Research and Development) engineer who works since years in the domain of mobile telecommunications. Then I remembered the cover I had received from Pakistan and the stamp picturing a mobile phone. So the challenge was set up: I would try to see if there are more stamps picturing mobile phones.
Below is the result of my quest. As you will see there is not enough material for a complete topical collection, but it was a funny exercise. If you ever see a stamp that contains the representation of a mobile phone (in one way or another) then tell me about it. And if you have a scan this is even better. I’m thinking of starting a virtual stamp collection about this!

The first stamp I found has been issued by South Korea on the 15th of March 2006 to celebrate the top eight export industries. The stamp illustrates the electronic industry and pictures a mobile phone.

The second stamp was issued by Russia on the 12th of October 2006 to commemorate the 15th anniversary of the mobile telecommunications in Russia.

The third one is the stamp from Pakistan issued on the 19th of January 2011 that was on the cover I showed in the previous post.

The fourth one is from Ecuador. It is part of a series about telecommunications issued on the 8th of July 2011 and pictures a more modern mobile phone, very similar to one you may know ;-)


The last one was issued this year, on the 7th of February 2012, by Australia in a series illustrating the evolution of technology.


What about you? Are you a topical collector? How did you choose your topic? What about your professional occupation? Could it make a topic for stamp collection? I would be happy to hear from you.

1 comment:

tasseled said...

http://www.irishstamps.ie/Shop/p-1126-se-tenant-strip-of-3.aspx

Another cell phone stamp from Ireland