Tuesday, February 07, 2012


In the scope of the Chinese New Year, a lot of postal administrations have issued stamp commemorating the “year of the dragon”. I already wrote in this blog that I’m not a big fan on these stamps but I must admit that the dragon gives a more graphical subject than the other animals of the Chinese zodiac and the results are sometimes very nice. I would like to share with you the stamp I prefer among the issues I have seen so far. This is the stamp issued by Liechtenstein. The stamp has been issued in the form of a small souvenir sheet containing four stamps. Here is a scan of the sheet (I must admit that the scan does not really pay tribute to the real item).


It is not so clear on the scan but the stamp design uses the art of paper cut. The drawing is actually cut into the paper. It gives a very nice result I think. The stamps are self-adhesive so that they are easier to stick on an envelop I guess. I really like drawings done using paper cut…
The first top half of the sheet contains a drawing in gold (even though it appears blackish on the scan) picturing all the animals of the Chinese zodiac.
I’m not sure these stamps will be used very often on mails and they are probably only items for collection. But still, I do like them.
What is your favorite “year of the dragon” stamp?
The fact that these stamps are cut for the design remind me about an article writen by Glen Stephens I recently read is Australasia Stamp News (well I’m back from Australia remember? ;-) ) about stamps that actually have holes in their design. The article points towards the following discussion page where you can see several examples of “stamps with holes”. I was really impressed by the number of stamps presenting this particularity. It could be a subject of collection by itself it seems!

2 comments:

Kah-Wai Lin said...

Nice blog you have here!
Welcome to visit my new philatelic blog:
http://helixphilately.blogspot.com/
http://philatelyresource.blogspot.com/

Kah-Wai Lin said...

Nice blog you have here!
Welcome to visit my new philatelic blog:
http://helixphilately.blogspot.com/
http://philatelyresource.blogspot.com/