Friday, February 03, 2012

Covers from Indonesia


What is nice when you leave for several weeks in holidays is that when you come back you find your mailbox full of mails. This is what happened to me last week when I came back after three weeks and a half in Australia. Well, technically speaking, I did not find my mail box full because I had asked the postal administration to keep the mail for me, fearing that my mail box would not be big enough! And I was right. I was thrilled when I came back from the post office with a large bag full of envelopes. I started sorting everything in four stacks:
  • one for the junk mails, the ones I would not even read
  • one for the administrative mails (invoices)
  • one for the philatelic mails
  • one for the mail art

I was very happy to see that the two biggest stacks were the two last ones. It also showed me that if I remove the junk mails, the mails I get from my philatelic contacts and the mail I get from mail artists, I do not receive so much mail! So this is not surprising that the usage of stamps becomes more and more an affair of philatelists.

Inside the stack dedicated to philatelic mails I was very happy to find this nice cover sent from Indonesia by Irene (add a link). Thank you very much Irene for this sending.

The cover is franked with a full souvenir sheet that I have already presented in my blog (add a link). The toad that is pictured on the left stamp is a Leptophryne cruentata, commonly called the Bleeding toad (or also Fire toad) probably because of the reddish color of its back. This species is endemic to Indonesia and is endangered. There was a drastic population decline caused by the eruption of Mount Galunggung in 1982.
The second stamp pictures an aquatic plant, the Nyphoides indica which is part of the environment in which the bleeding toad lives. 
This is definitely a very nice cover that I’m glad to add to my collection.

It reminded me of another cover that I got also from Irene last year and that I never showed here. Here it is.

This is an FDC (Hari Terbit Pertama, meaning First Day of Issue, if my knowledge of Indonesian is correct ;-) ). The set of stamps is part of a joint issue between Indonesia and South Africa to celebrate 300 years of relationship between both countries.
The stamp located on the top right corner of the cover pictures Syeh Yusuf (1616-1699) an Islamic teacher who is also a national hero of Indonesia. To be noted that the same stamp is part of the South African set and is the only one sharing the same design between both countries. I must admit that I did not find the relation between Syeh Yusuf and South Africa that explains that he appears of the South African stamp…
The stamp located just below pictures the Balla Lompoa museum located in Gowa region.
The three stamps on the left side pictures various aspects of the culture of both countries. The one on the bottom pictures the Pakarena dance which is part of the folk culture of Gowa region. The two other stamps are related to culture of  South Africa. 
To be complete let me share with you a picture (sorry it is small) of the South African stamps issued in the same set.

1 comment:

mihir gala said...

Hey Eric, I would like to be your pen friend and would want to share more knowledge about philately.