Saturday, December 03, 2011

Mails from postal administrations

I recently received mails from several postal administrations and I decided to share them with you in order to share also my frustration.

Before I show you the covers I received, let me give two important precisions. The first one is that all these covers (except one) were sent only to me, I mean that they were not covers containing a generic mail sent to hundreds or thousands of people. The second point is that they are all coming from the philatelic service of the concerned postal administration.
 
Here are the covers I got from Sweden, Finland and United Nations.




 
You start to understand where I going to?

Now let’s see the covers I got from Iceland and Portugal.




You see the differences? The last two covers are franked with real stamps! Yes! And it really makes a difference.

And for Portugal I must even precise that the cover contained a catalog of 2011 products, so not a mail just sent to me but to a lot a people. This is the exception.

 
The cover from Iceland bears a Christmas stamp from a set of two issued on the 5th of November 2009 and picturing stained-glass exploring Iceland’s religious history.
 

The second stamp is a part of a set of two issued on the 10th of March 2005 dedictaed to mice! The stamp pictures a (cute) field mouse (Apodemus sylvaticus) as opposed to the house mouse (Mus musculus) which is pictured on the second stamp of the set.

The Portuguese cover bears a more recent stamp which is part of a set of six issued on the 3rd of March 2011 celebrating the inscription of fado in the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage Lists.


The set pictures the most famous people associated with this traditional Portuguese musical genre.
 
Why all philatelic services don’t use stamps when they write a specific customer? This could be a very good advertisement of their products. This experience makes me feel like buying more stamps from Iceland and Portugal!

No comments: