Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Frogs, frogs, frogs everywhere !

As I said in a previous post, I have started a very massive reshuffling of my website presenting my frog stamps collection (The Philatelic Frog) and as you can imagine I am very slow in doing this change. Nevertheless, these last months, I have accumulated quite a big number of frog stamps and on popular demand (don’t laugh I had two different requests ;-) ) I decided to write this post to share with you all my latest findings.

Sooner or later they will be posted on my website but for people sharing the same interest this blog post could be already a good source of information.

I present them below in so specific order and I do not show the ones I already showed in this blog. Some are recent issues from 2011, some are older (mainly 2010) but I only recently found out about them. Some of these issues have been highlighted to me by some of my readers and for this I would like to say a big thank you to every body reading my blog and an even bigger thank you to all who help me in my collections.


• Let’s start by Dominican Republic that issued a set of four stamps on the 7th of September 2011 bearing the logo of the WWF and picturing the same frog species: Hypsiboas heilprini (Hispaniolan Green Tree frog)



To be noted that these are the first frog stamps issued by this country.


• Then a stamp and souvenir sheet issued by Indonesia on the 5th of November 2011.




 

The frog that is pictured on the stamp is a Leptophryne cruentata (Bleeding toad). To be noted that souvenir sheet is pre-cut in the form of a water lily leaf as you can see on the First Day Cover below.


• 2011 has been chosen as the international year of the forest and at this occasion, United Nations have issued a set of six stamps (two se-tenant stamps per office). The stamps from the office of New York picture a magical forest and its inhabitants among which there is a red frog.



What I find surprising for these stamps (and for the other stamps of the set by the way) is that nowhere it is mentioned that United Nations is the entity that has issued the stamps! Strange, no?
 
• Now let’s move to Ukraine where a very impressive sheet of five stamps has been issued on the 22nd of November 2011 to picture amphibians.


 
The stamps picture the following species: Pelophylax kl. esculentus (Edible frog), Pelophylax lessonae (Pool frog), Pelophylax ridibundus (Marsh frog), Rana dalmatina (Agile frog) and the well known Hyla arborea (Green tree frog).
 
• To stay on spectacular issue, here is one from Vanuatu, issued on the 27th of July 2011 with four stamps and a rather impressive souvenir sheet. All stamps pictures the same type of frog, a Litoria aurea (Green and golden bell frog)




I could not find any information to confirm that the two following issues are valid ones. If you have any information I would be happy to get some as they may be bogus issues. Even if they are valid they are clearly issues targeting topical collectors and will probably never see a cover!

• The first one is from Guinea-Bissau



• The second is one from Mozambique.




• Let’s continue with this stamp booklet issued by Ecuador in 2011 to promote the Yasuni-ITT program and that contains three stamps picturing a frog.




The Yasuni-ITT program is named after the Ishpingo-Tambococha-Tiputini field located in the Yasuni National Park. Under this field a big reserve of oil has been found by through the Yasuni-ITT initiative the government from Ecuador committed not to exploit this oil reserve in order to protect the spectacular natural reserve full of various species of plants and animals that represents this area.

• In the of four stamps issued on the 24th of August 2011 by Costa-Rica featuring the flora and fauna of the natural reserve “Bosque Eterno de los Niños” we can find a stamp picturing a frog, Lithobates vibricarius.

 
• A souvenir sheet issued in 2011 by Bangladesh featuring rare animals of the country contains a stamp picturing a frog, Euphlyctis hexadactylus (Green pond frog).



• A very different type of issue is the set of stamps issued by Gambia in the scope of the international philatelic exhibition Nippon 2011. Dedicated to Origami, this issue pictures various animals in paper among which there is a frog.




As you may know, if you read my blog regularly, I’m very found of Origami, therefore I really like this issue. The frog is not an easy model for Origami, I never succeeded to fold a good one.

• Also on a different note here is a stamp issued by Soith Korea on the 1st of October 2011 as part of the definitive series. The stamp pictures a long-necked Jar decorated with clay figurines among which you can see some frogs.



 
Among the issues of 2010 I would like to share with you the following.

• The fist frog stamp from Bolivia issued on the 1st of November 2010.


 
It is part of a set of four stamps dedicated to endangered species. The frog that is featured on the stamp is an Atelopus tricolor (the Three-colored harlequin toad).

 
• The rather rare issue from East Timor celebrates the year of biodiversity with amphibians and reptiles



Limnonectes timorensis (Timor river frog) is the species features on the stamp.

 
• Also to celebrate the year of the biodiversity, here is the stamp issued by Morocco on the 1st of October 2010 on which there is, as you can see on the zoom, a small frog




1 comment:

Carvalho said...

I liked the blocks and stamps about frogs, quite diverse. Congratulations, great blog.