Thursday, August 11, 2011

A very nice FDC from USA

As promised, no frog, no toad today… only a mockingbird ;-)

I have received a very nice FRC from USA some months ago already but I never took the time to search for information on the stamp and the postmark. I spent some times yesterday to correct this mistake and I’m happy to share with you my findings.
First let’s have a look to the cove itself.




The stamp used on the cover was issued on the 28th of April 2011 by the American postal administration (USPS). This is the 17th stamp in the “Legends of Hollywood” series and pictures Gregory Peck (1916-2003).
I guess I don’t need to tell you who Gregory Peck was! He started his acting career on stage and made his first movie in 1944 (Days of glory). He has played in more than 60 movies. He reminds me my childhood, when I was watching some of his movies on the familial black & white TV, such as “Moby Dick” (1956), “The Guns of Navarone” (1961) or the very nice “Roman Holidays” (1953).

A first day ceremony of this stamp was held in Monroeville, Alabama. The postmark on the cover is the one from this first day ceremony.
Monroeville is a city located in the Monroe County. This city is famous for being the hometown of Harper Lee an author who won in 1961 the Pulitzer Prize for her novel “To kill a mocking bird”. The novel, published in 1960, is based on an event that took place in 1936 in her hometown when she was 10. It tells the story of a black man falsely accused of raping a white woman. It is a story about injustice, racism and has become a classic of the American modern literature. The mockingbird mentioned in the title is used in the novel to symbolize innocence (hence the bird on the postmark).

In 1997 the city of Monroeville has been designated by the Alabama legislature as the literary capital of Alabama (see the postmark), because several other famous writers were born or have lived there (e.g. Truman Capote)

In 1962, “To kill a mocking bird” became a movie. I’m sure you guess who played the main role? Gregory Peck! The picture used on the stamp is a picture from the movie, with Peck playing Atticus Finch, the advocate who defends the black man falsely accused. Peck won an Oscar for this role in 1962 (this is the only Oscar he received, despite having been nominated five times during his career). The movie also won two other Oscars, an award in Cannes festival and several Golden globes. The movies has been shot in Monreoville, partly in the Monroe County house which is also pictured on the postmark.

Now you see the link between the stamp and the postmark. I must admit that I do not remember having seen this movie (and I surely did not read the novel) but all what I found about it while preparing this post, made me feel like repair this omission.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Do you have either of these?
http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/collecting/cancels/alberta/froglake.jsf

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/collecting/cancels/alberta/wildwood.jsf