Saturday, June 18, 2011

Frogs from Singapore

I haven’t been very active on this blog these last days because I have been quite busy with my new blog and with the preparation of the covers for my “frogs of the world” challenge. Thank you very much for those who already proposed to help me on this. Covers are going to be sent soon. Also I was supposed to spend the whole week in China for business trip but Air France did its best to prevent me from flying to Shanghai: on Saturday after hours of waiting my flight was cancel without any satisfying backup proposed by Air France. So I cancelled the whole mission, but my professional schedule is therefore a bit disorganized.

Few days ago, I received a registered cover from Singapore and it reminded me that I did not share yet on this blog the stamps I recently bought from Singapore Post for my frog stamps collection. I would like to close this gap with this post.

But first let me show you the cover that bears four stamps (and an impressive number of cancellations…)

The two similar stamps on the right side are part of a set of six stamps issued on the 9th of March 2010. This set is an invitation to remember the joy of childhood by picturing playgrounds. Here is a picture of the full set, coming from the website of Singapore post.

In fact this picture is extracted from the brochure announcing the issue. Interestingly the stamps on the brochure seems to be inscribed “2009” whereas the final stamps are inscribed 2010. Probably the issue of the set has been postponed…

The two other stamps are part of a set issued on the 13th of April 2011 and picturing the fauna and flora that can be found a round a pond. The set contains ten stamps. I recently purchased the presentation pack of this issue. Here is the cover of the presentation pack, when it is folded. I like this cover, and not only because it contains a frog ;-)


And here the presentation pack unfolded, with the ten stamps inside.

Two stamps picturing flora are on the top raw. They picture respectively (from left to right):

- the fragrant water lilies (Nymphaea odorata)
- the water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes)

I have always liked water lilies. I think they are really nice.

On the second row, the stamps picture respectively (from left to right):

- the white collared kingfisher (Todirhamphus chloris)
- the diving beetle (Cybister rugosus)
- the common redbolt (Rhodothemis rufa)
- the orange-tailed marsh dart (Ceriagrion cerinorubellum)

On the third row the stamps picture:

- the black marsh terrapin (Siebenrockiella crassicollis) also known as the smiling terrapin
- the white breasted water hen (Amaurornis phoenicurus)
- the common green frog (Rana erythraea)
- the common asian toad (Bufo melanostictus)

As you can imagine, the two last stamps are the one that triggered my interest.

The set also contains a souvenir sheet that I also bought in a presentation pack. Here is the cover of the pack.

Here is the sheet.

I also bought the FDC of the issue.



Note the nice frog on the first day postmark.

Here is also a FDC that I received from Velu (Thank you very much Velu), together with a piece of paper where the postal clerk has tried the postmark several times. It gives an interesting item for my collection.


I had the opportunity to read an article written by Eric Kong who designed the stamps and the sheet. It was very interesting to see how, to design the set, he used his childhood memories, when he was used to walk around ponds and observe the flora and the fauna of such places. He explained how he could play with the green frog or how he could run after the water hen. I really like when you can get the testimony of the designer of a stamp. I think it gives an interesting viewpoint on the issue and helps understanding how the stamps have been created.

1 comment:

Velu said...

Hi Eric.

Glad you got the frog sheet.

Hey is it possible for you to send me the souvinere sheet of the Botticelli artwork? It is an stunning piece of art work on stamps and would be great to have it.

Cheers,
Velu
(PS - Address on my blog)