Friday, February 04, 2011

New FDC postmarked on the 9th of May 1966

A short post to share with you an Indian FDC that I received from Vijay. This FDC is postmarked on the 9th of May 1966, the day of my birth!

The stamp on the FDC commorates the 100th anniversary of the birth of Gopal Krishna Gokhale. Gokhale was born on the 9th of May 1866 (just 100 years before me) in a rather poor family in India. He anyway received an English education and was part of the firt generation of Indians to receive university education. He became a member of the Indian National Congress and founded the Servants of India Society. Through the Society as well as the Congress and other legislative bodies he served in, Gokhale promoted the independence from the British Empire.To achieve his goals, Gokhale followed two overarching principles: avoidance of violence and reform within existing government institutions. He became one of the political leaders during the Indian Independence Movement against the British Empire in India. Gokhale is also known to be a mentor of the very famous Mahatma Gandhi. Gokhale died in 1915.

Thanks a lot Vijay. My own sending is on the way to you, just mailed this morning.

3 comments:

viridian said...

I like your blog header!
You are welcome to join me for Sunday stamps: http://viridianpostcard.blogspot.com a new meme where we share interesting stamps together.

Laura said...

I have a frog UK PHQ from 1986. Let me know if you want it :) stampraider@gmail.com

Laura said...

Hi I have a mint UK PHQ card with a frog on it from 1986. Let me know if you want it :)