Wednesday, January 05, 2011

First stamp issue from France in 2011


One of my good resolutions for 2011 is to update my blog more often than what I did in 2010. Let’s hope that I will get the free time needed for this. One of the other good resolutions is to speak a bit more about stamps issued by my own country. Therefore I will try, as much as possible, to tell you about all the new issues from the French postal administration. I will also try to take some time to write about older issues.
The French post will issue the first stamps of 2011 on the 10th of January. This issue will be part of the now usual “hearts” series. As each year, two heart-shaped stamps and a souvenir sheet will be issued, all being created by a famous fashion designer.
For 2011, this is Maurizio Galante who has been chosen. He is an Italian designer born in 1963. The stamps he has designed are rather simple but very colorful.
The particularity of those stamps is that they call for modification as shown in the margin of the stamps!
The 0.58€ stamp is named “color me”. People are invited to use pencils to color the stamp.

This stamp is also issued in the form of a souvenir sheet with five copies of the stamp.




The second one is named “engrave your initials” and invites people to engrave in the middle of the stamp their initials and the ones of their lover, as sometimes done on the trunk of a tree. Isn’t it cute?



Personally I’m not a big fan of this issue. First of all I think that the “hearts” series lasts to long. It was nice and surprising the first time we got heart-shaped stamps, now this is becoming to much a habit. And I think this specific issue is a bit a “gadget”. Ok that would be cool if such issue attracts more people and make them use stamps on their mail instead of labels. But to reach this goal, people first need to be aware of this issue. As I said in one of my previous posts: except philatelists, who are really informed about the stamps issued by their own country?

2 comments:

Adrian said...

I quite like your heart stamps, to be honest! Always have and still do. The annual issue of one or two stamps in a larger set is one way of getting people into collecting, I think. They make a nice collection all together.

Anonymous said...

very interesting, thanks