Saturday, December 04, 2010

Stamp sheet from Mexico

(I’m writing this blog post from the air-france lounge in Paris airport because I’m leaving in few hours to Shanghai for one week.)

I have been quiet on this blog these last days because I’m rather busy preparing an update of my frog stamps website. I’m spending hours scanning, looking for information about the stamps and the frogs and putting this into web pages. While doing this I came through an impressive stamp sheet that I decided to share with you.

This is a sheet of twenty four (yes, 24!) stamps issued on the 2nd of October 1996 by Mexico and dedicated to the protection of endangered species. The stamps picture a huge number of animals, too many to list them all. I did not even try to count them. Have a look to this.


Pretty impressive, no? Any topical stamp collector specialized in any type of fauna on stamps would find satisfaction with this sheet, don’t you think so?

You will ask me: where is the frog? Not obvious at first glance. Look closer to the stamp located on the bottom left corner, the stamp picturing a tapir, and you will see a frog in the background. This is the very photogenic red-eyed tree frog.

I have a funny anecdote about this stamp sheet. When I started collecting stamps picturing frogs, I retrieved from the ATA (American Topical Association) a checklist, a list of all stamps picturing a frog (well after some times I realized the list was not complete but it was a very good starting point). In the list there was a reference of stamp from Mexico issued in 1996, without much additional information.

Several years later I came across the stamp sheet on an auction website and found it quite striking, even though the scan was not so clear. I decide to bet on it because I always love stamps picturing animals and wanted to get a copy of this sheet. I won it for a reasonable price. When I received it at home, I looked at it more closely and discover the frog that I hadn’t noticed on the scan! So the stamp that the ATA list was mentioning was in fact part of this stamp sheet!

I know what some you will think (and you are right): how many of those stamps have actually been used on a cover? This is the sort of issue that is targeted for philatelists and that your hardly find on actual mail. But still, I think this is an interesting item for my collection.

3 comments:

dr Pradeep Jain said...

Dear friend,I m a philatelist from India.I have seen ur blog first time nice subject I will see some items for u from my collection.I want any contact in mexico if u can give any email ID as I want recently issued joint stamp with India. Dr Pradeep Jain

Ing Gerardo Pacheco Dorantes said...

Thank you very much for your article, this sheet under UV light has more surprises in the stamps are tagging UV security markings and one is a frog, just stamp tapir, greetings. Gerardo Pacheco gpacheco_dorantes@hotmail.com

Ing Gerardo Pacheco Dorantes said...

Thank you very much for your article, this sheet under UV light has more surprises in the stamps are tagging UV security markings and one is a frog, just stamp tapir, greetings. Gerardo Pacheco gpacheco_dorantes@hotmail.com