Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Postmarks from Germany (I)

I would like to start this post with a big THANK YOU. Thank you to Kalpana for the letters (with the nice postmarks I'm sharing with you today), for the stamps and for the philatelic papers (this is very good to help me practicing my German which is not so good)! I got them all more than one week ago but I could not find time until now to scan them and write about them.
As you will see Kalpana has adapted already to my new topic for collection (Cows) without forgetting my old one (Frogs) as you will see in my next post.

Here is the first cover that I received, with a very nice postmark picturing a pig and a cow (click on the picture to see a zoom).

The pictorial postmark celebrates the 100th anniversary of the Friedrich-Loeffler Institute which is the German national research center for animal health. The insititute was founded in 1910 by Friedrich Loeffler (1852-1915) a German bacteriologist who, among other things, discovered the organism causing diphtheria (Corynebacterium diphtheriae) and the cause of foot and mouth disease (Aphthovirus).
On the 7th of October 2010 a stamp was even issued by the German postal administration to celebrate the same anniversary.





I received a second very nice cover.




Here the postmark celebrates the 20th anniversary of the National association of philately from Mecklenburg-Vorpommem. Mecklenburg-Vorpommem is a federal state in northern Germany. The postmark pictures a part of the coat of arms of the state that is reproduced below.




The large coat of arms of the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern is used by the parliament of the Land and the superior state authorities. It shows a shield divided into four sections. In its upper right and lower left section there are bullheads on a golden background. The bullheads represent the former grand dukedoms of Mecklenburg, i. e. Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Mecklenburg-Strelitz. The red griffon on a silver background in the upper left section stands for Vorpommern. In the fourth section the Brandenburg eagle refers to the close historical link between Pommern and Brandenburg.

Both covers bear the same stamp, a stamp issued in September 2008 that I already mentionned in a
previous post thanks again to a sending of Kalpana.
These two covers are my first postamrks for my cow collection!

No comments: