Monday, August 16, 2010

First Flight Cover

If you read my blog regularly you know that I was born in 1966 and that I try to collect stamps that were issued this specific year. I also try to collect postal covers that are postmarked on the 9th of May 1966, the exact day of my birth. So far I already got two FDCs that I showed in this blog: one from Bulgaria and one from Poland.
I recently got a new cover cancelled on this magical day. Not a first day cover this time but a first flight cover!
Here it is.
The cover commemorates the first flight between Graz (in Asutria) to Frankfurt (Germany) through Linz (in Austria) operated by Austrian Airlines on the 9th of May 1966.
This sort of event is the occasion for people found of aero philately to produce commemorative covers that receive special cancel as this one.

The text in the nice hexagonal cancel says:
First flight Graz-Linz-Frankfurt
With HS 748

HS 748 stands for Hawker Siddeley 748, a medium-sized turboprop airliner originally designed by the British firm Avro in the late 1950s as a replacement for the now-aged DC-3s.

The stamp is a definitive one picturing the Steiner Tor, a gate located in the city of Krems.

Nice item, isn’t it ?

No comments: