Tuesday, August 10, 2010

First cover from Mount Athos

I recently posted an article about a set of stamps issued by Mount Athos early this year. I’m not proud to show you the first cover that I received from there. It is a very simple one, bearing on the stamps of the set I showed in my previous post.

The cancel is not very clear but I’m still happy since this is the first time I get a letter from this part of the world.
I also take this opportunity to share with you the second part of the series about the biodiversity of the Mount Athos. It was issued on the 21st of June 2010 and contains again five stamps picturing fauna and flora in the same style than the first part.

The first stamp picture a species of wildflower endemic to Mount Athos and in danger of extinction: Silene orphanidi.


The second stamp pictures a Nightingale (Luscinia megarhynchos).

The third stamp pictures the Europen roe deer (Capreolus capreolus).

The fourth one pictures the bay laurel (Laurus nobils), a bay tree that belongs to the laurel family.


And the last one pictures the European green lizard (Lacerta viridis).



No comments: