Thursday, August 05, 2010

Eyjafjallajökul stamps

It has been in the daily news at the beginning of this year and it has disturbed a lot the flights over Europe. I remember that some of my colleagues have been stuck on one side or another of the Atlantic Ocean because of its ash cloud. I guess you recognized it: I’m speaking about the volcano Eyjafjallajökul located in Iceland whose eruption started on the 20th of March and actually ended on the 21st of May!

To commemorate this exceptional event, Iceland Post has issued a special set of three stamps on the 22nd of July 2010.
I recently received a FDC with these three stamps. Thank you very much Benedikt for sending me this very nice cover.
The three stamps picture various views of the volcano. The particularity of these stamps is that they are printed with very fine-grained ash which fell from the volcano on the 17th of April 2010. The trachyandesite magma, from which comes this ash, is made at 60% of silica and comes from a depth of 7km with a temperature of more than 1100°C when it reaches the glacial ice.
This is rather impressive that a part of this ash is finally ending on a set of stamps, isn’t it?

This is a very interesting set of stamps for people interested by volcano, and I know a lot!

1 comment:

João Pedro said...

very beautiful cover