Tuesday, May 11, 2010

London 2010 (I)

On Monday I spent part of the day at the International Stamp exhibition “London 2010” held at the Business Design Center located in the north of London. I really had a great time visiting an impressive number of booths held by stamp dealers, philatelic associations and postal administrations. This post is only the first episode in a series. I would like to share with you few pictures I took. I will share with you later the philatelic items that I could purchase but for this I need to come back to France and have access to my scanner.
I was really impressed by the size of the place where the stamp festival was held. And I was surprised also that there was very few people on the day I visited it. I guess the place was more crowded over the weekend but on Monday it was really quiet. The entry was free (you had to pay 10 pounds on Saturday!). I spent quite some time at the booth of Royal Mail (an impressive one as you will see) but I also visited the booth of several foreign postal administrations: Germany, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Monaco, Japan, Botswana and others… I could even find some stamps for my frog stamp collection.
If I compare with similar events where I could participate in France I was say that:
- there were much more foreign postal administrations represented (this is probably due to the international dimension of the event)
- there were less “topical stamp dealers”, I mean by that dealers who organize their stamps per topics instead of per countries. There was a lot of dealers proposing postal history items and a lot of philatelic auction houses
But let’s see the pictures.
Here is the entry of the Business Design Center.
Once inside, here is what you could see, indicating that you had to go up to enter the show.
And here is what you could see once inside the place…

And here is what you could see once inside the place…



In a next post I will share with you the items that Royal Mail could propose on its booth and what souvenirs I could bring from the other postal administration booths.

6 comments:

Larry said...

Wow! Very impressive. I'd love to be able to visit a large philatelic exhibition like that. Nothing on this scale has ever occurred close to me. I look forward to seeing what you picked up at the Royal Mail booth. I really like the new souvenir sheet for the George V anniversary.

Praise2004 said...

Thank you for sharing the exhibition with us! Looking forward to the next post.

Praise2004 said...

The place they used for exhibition was huge!

semprelibri said...

Hello! Excellent blog! I would be pleased to show you my website about "unusual stamps": www.eryx.it/dentelli/

Gone with postcrads said...

I'm just looking forward to your next post!

msyanwu said...

Hi Eric - Too bad I didn't know about you going to the show. I was there for 2 days.