Saturday, April 24, 2010

Frog stamp from North Cyprus

(Whaou two updates of my blog in one week… it seems that things are slowly improving and coming back to normal. More seriously I do hope I will be able to come back to an almost daily update and to recover the delay I have accumulated in managing my stamp collections).

Today I have chosen to write about my last acquisition for my frog stamps collection. This is a stamp issued by the North Cyprus Postal Administration (Turkish Cyprus) on the 14th of September 2009 in a set of two stamps related to animals.

The first thing to notice is the shape of the stamp, rather unusual. This is a first: this is the first triangular stamp picturing a frog. Well more precisely picturing a toad here, since the animal pictured on the stamp is a European Green Toad (Bufo viridis).
The European Green Toad is a pretty common toad that can be found in Europe, Asia and Northern Africa. Its back is scattered with spots that may vary from green to dark brown. It has sometimes some red spots too as shown on these stamps issued by East Germany and Poland, both in 1963.



As all toad species, it has glands behind its neck that secrete a toxin when it is threatened.

The set contains a second stamp picturing a Agama sellio, a lizard.

Here is a picture of the First Day Cover (sorry the scan is not very good) with a nice frog postmark!






1 comment:

Gone with postcrads said...

Frogs!!! I collect also stamps on them, but you do a better job! Keep going~~