Sunday, March 14, 2010

Looking for the frog

(I know, I know. It has been ages since last time I have posted something on my blog. Too much work, not enough time to deal with stamps and blogs... I missed you and I hope you missed me ;-) I'll try to come back to a regular update of this blog but I'm not sure yet I'll be able to do it. At least I'll try.)



One of the big pleasure I have as a topical stamp collector is to spend time browsing list of new issues in order to find stamps that picture my topic. Sometimes this is easy, the topic is THE main theme of the stamp. Sometimes it is a bit harder and you have to look more in details before seeing that, yes, the stamp pictures something that looks like what you are looking for. This is what happened to me recently when I was looking for frogs on a list of stamps recently issued. I discovered this stamp, almost by accident! And I was thrilled...





The stamp has been issued by Slovakia on the 14th of August 2009 in order to announce the Biennial of Illustration Bratislava (BIB).

The Biennial of Illustration Bratislava is one of the oldest international honours for children's book illustrators. First granted in 1967 it is one of the more prestigious children's book awards today, along with Hans Christian Andersen Award. Artists are selected by an international jury, and their original artwork is exhibited in Bratislava, Slovakia. It is sponsored by UNESCO and the Ministry of Culture, Slovakia.

In 2009 the Biennial was held from the 4th of September until the 26th of October. The stamp pictures a book illustration awarded in 2007 by the international jury during the 21st Biennial of Illustrations Bratislava. This illustration has been created by the German artist Einar Turkowski and is taken from the book ‘Es war finster und merkwürdig still’ (‘It was dark and eerily quiet’). In fact the stamp pictures only part of the full illustration. Here is a full picture.


If you look closely to the right bottom corner of the stamp, you will see a small frog suspended to a string! So this stamp can definitly find its place in my frog stamps collection !

2 comments:

Adrian said...

So good to have you back! I was starting to get worried!
:-)

Gem from Calgary said...

ERic,
Good to see you back on your blog. Missed you, thought maybe you were held captive in Ottawa airport- just kidding.I always checked in with your blog and hoped that you hadn't given up completely.
take care,