Saturday, November 21, 2009

Frog on margin of stamps from Uruguay

(I know, I haven’t written in my blog since ages… several weeks in fact. The reason is that three weeks ago I have starting a new job, within the same company, that kept me very busy. A lot of new things to learn, a lot of new people to meet. This new job is going to give me the chance to travel even more than before: this week I have been two days in Chicago, I’m currently writing this (short) post from Ottawa and in three weeks I will be traveling to Shanghai and Beijing. I should also go to Bangalore… This is exciting but it keeps me away from stamps and from you, the readers of my blog, which is a pity. I missed you and I hope that you missed me a bit ;-) ).


This year we have seen the celebration of the 200th anniversary of the birth of Charles Darwin. I think there is no need to introduce Charles Robert Darwin (1809-1882), he is very famous. His book “Origin of Species” published in 1859 is also very famous. This anniversary has been the occasion for a lot of postal administration to issue stamps to celebrate this event. Today I would like to show you two stamps issued by Uruguay on the 31st of August 2009.
I guess you understand why I’m interested by these stamps: they are printed in sheet with a margin that is illustrated with a frog! Even if the frog is not pictured on the stamps themselves, I will keep this set for my frog collection!
The stamp on the left pictures a very famous portrait of Darwin, at the end of his life, and a not less famous drawing illustrating the evolution theory from the ape to the human being.
The stamp on the right pictures the HMS beagle, the ship of which Darwin made a five years trip during which he made a lot of observation leading to his theory of the natural selection.

No comments: