Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Two covers from Brazil

I don’t know if I have already said it in my blog but I like cooking (hey this is quite normal since I’m a French man ;-) ). I don’t know if I’m a very good cook, but I’m always interested to learn about gastronomy in other countries. As a consequence I like when I see stamps related to gastronomy as the ones put on this cover I received from Brazil.


The two se-tenant stamps on the cover have been issued on the 24th of March 2000 and picture a regional meal: the Moqueca. The Moqueca is a traditional Brazilian seafood stew consisting mainly of fish, onion, garlic, tomatoes, cilantro and chili pepper cooked slowly with no water added.
There are two regional variants of this stew: the Moqueca Capixaba (pictured on the left stamp) from Espírito Santo state in the Southeast, and the Moqueca Baiana (pictured on the right stamp) from Bahia state in the Northeast.

In the Moqueca Capixaba olive and soy oil are used instead of palm oil, while coconut milk is not used. The stew is cooked in a traditional clay pot made with black clay and mangrove tree sap.
The Moqueca Baiana is more influence by African cuisine and contains palm oil, coconut milk, shrimps and crab.

If your country has issued stamps picturing traditional meals I would be happy to hear from you, I’m gathering material for a future article on the subject.

The third stamp on the cover deals with a completely different subject. It is not obvious at first glance, but this is a Christmas stamp issued on the 19th of November 1998. The stamp pictures the church of Our Lady of Fatima located in Brasilia; more precisely the right part of the stamp pictures an outline of the sanctuary. It has a very uncommon triangle roof that looks like a nun’s hat.
The right part of the stamp pictures tiles that cover the walls of the church. These tiles have been created by Athos Bulcao (1918-2008) a Brazilian painter and sculptor. I have had the opportunity to see some pictures of his work for this church and I must admit it is very nice.

I have a second cover coming from Brazil to share with you today. I selected this one no really for the stamp but for a postal marking on which I would like to get some feedback from the readers of my blog. Here is the cover.


The stamp has been issued on the 7th of February 2009 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the birth of Helder Pessoa Câmara (1909-1999) the archbishop of Olinda and Recife. On the stamp he is pictured in front of the church of the Frontiers in Recife (which is now a memorial for him) and with a peace dove symbolizing his fight for peace.
But what triggered my interest on this cover is the marking DH that you can see in the right bottom corner. I could not find what it means and why it was put on the cover. Does anyone have any explanation for this? If yes, please let a comment or send me an email.

2 comments:

postalheritage said...

We couldn't find any traditional meals on British stamps, apart from the chips in this set.

This Australian set has some Australians desserts.

BRASILIANA 2013 said...

Dear ERIC:

The acronym DH is used to notify the addressee that any possible delay in delivery of the letter was caused by the fact that it was mailed after the time limit.

DH = Depois do Horário (in Portuguese). After Hours (In English).

Regards.

FABIO FLOSI.