Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A new cover from Moldova

Yesterday I shared with you covers from Slovenia that I got from a reader of my blog. Today I have selected again a cover sent by a reader and coming from Moldova (thank you very much for this sending, but you did not give me any address so that I could send you back a cover in return).
I’m particularly thrilled by this cover because it contains two frog stamps, well not exactly one frog stamp and one label with a frog. Here it is.


I have already described the frog stamp located on the left side in a previous post and I have also shown the souvenir sheet from which is extracted the stamp and the label on the right.
The last stamp is also a very interesting one. It is part of a set of two stamps issued on the 23rd of May 2008 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the first stamps issued by Moldova, the famous bull heads. Here is a picture of the full set.




The Principality of Moldova has issued its first set of stamps on the 15th of July 1858, on year before it merges with the Principality of Wallachia to form the modern Romania. The set contained four stamps (27, 54, 81 and 108 parale) that you can see on the 2008 stamps.
Even though these stamps are known as the bull heads, they actually picture the head of an Aurochs, the emblem of Moldova. These stamps had a rather short life duration which explains why they are now philatelic rarities.
These two stamps have also been issued in the form of a booklet. Here is a picture of the booklet cover and pane.




No comments: