Monday, August 10, 2009

I feel Slovenia

As I already wrote here, one of the big pleasures of maintaining a blog is when you get direct feedback from your readers. From time to time I receive mails (snail mails ;-) ) from reader who write to me just to say how much they enjoy reading my blog. This is always a very big pleasure for me when it happens. Sometimes I even receive gifts from them; I’m really thrilled by the kindness of all these people!

The covers that I share with you today are a very illustration of this. Thank you very much Gordana for sending them to me. It took me some times to publish them here on my blog, I’m must admit, but finally here they are.

Here is the first cover that I received.

The stamp located on the left of this first stamp has been issued on the 27th of March 2009 and pictures a cornflower. The cornflower (Centaurea cyanus) is a flower which is rather common in Europe. In ancient folklore, cornflowers were worn by young men in love; if the flower faded too quickly, it was taken as a sign that the man's love was not returned (this is why it is sometimes called the Bachelor’s button). The blue cornflower is the national flower of Estonia since 1968, and is part of the national flowers of Germany . In France it is the symbol of the 11th November 1918 armistice.

Still going towards the left, the heart shaped stamp is a message stamp issued on the 30th of January 2009. It is entitled “the kiss” and is a cute way to send one to your correspondent! Note the way Slovenija is written on the stamp, with love highlighted in red. A similar trick can be seen on the next stamp.

The last stamp was issued o, the 29th of May 2009 to illustrate the Slovenian brand: I feel Slovenia. It seems that Slovenia is still often confused with other countries, not recognized or mistakenly placed and valuated. In 2006 the Government Public Relations and Media Office estimated that Slovenia needs a representative image (a slogan, logo and brand) to increase its recognition. This brand is “I feel Slovenia”, written in English (to be understood by everybody in the world) and in two colors so that “I feel love” is highlighted. Slovenia is the only country that contains the word Love in its name! A nice idea, isn’t it?The heart shaped bread pictured on the stamp reinforces this idea of love!

Inside this cover I had the very great pleasure to find stamps and other nice covers as this pre-stamped cover commemorating the 80th anniversary of a kindergarten (if I understood well, my knowl




A very nice postmark, looking like a painting that I think we all did when we were young, putting our hand in painting and then on a piece of paper. Cute!

I was thrilled when I saw the next cover that was also included in this sending: a FDC bearing frog stamps and a very nice frog cancel!

I already presented this issue on my blog in an older post.

Later, Gordana sent me a new cover, with a funny frog on it.




On this cover we can find again the “I feel Slovenia” stamp that I described above. The other stamp is coming from a souvenir sheet issued on the 26th of September 2007. Here is a picture of the full souvenir sheet.
It pictures a White water-lily (Nymphea alba L.) which is the only species of water-lily that can be found in nature in Slovenia. This sheet is part of a wider set including also three stamps dedicated also to aquatic flowers. The other stamps of the set picture a Yellow pond-lily (Nuphar luteum), a common frogbit (Hydrocharis morsus-ranae L.) and a fringed water-lily (Nymphoides peltata).




Once again, thank you very much for this sending, and thank you very much to all the readers who take the time to send me a nice letter or postcard!

No comments: