Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A simple cover from Hungary

I’m always happy when I get mail franked with nice stamps out of a philatelic context. Except philatelists, it is more and more seldom that people take the time to put nice stamps on a cover they sent. So I was quite happy when I got this cover from Hungary, with two bird stamps and a very clean postmark. This is why I decided to share it with you. So far I did not get so many covers from Hungary.


The stamp located on the right side of the cover has been issued on the 16th of May 2008. It pictures Orseg national park, one of the various national parks from Hungary where a very rich flora and fauna can be found. To illustrate this, the stamp pictures a bird that can be seen in this park, a crossbill (Loxia curvirostra), a bird that had the particularity to have its mandibles crossing their tips. The stamp seems to picture a male, because males are usually red or orange and females are green or yellow.
On the left side of the stamp one can see a medallion with a black and white picture of a man. This man is Chernel Istvan (1865-1922) a Hungarian ornithologist. I was not really able to find the exact reason why he is also pictured on the stamp.
The second stamp was issued on the 9th of October 2001. According to my Scott catalog, this stamp has been issued to track the attempt to create the world’s largest stamp mosaic! I could not find further information but I guess that the peacock pictured on the stamp is in fact a mosaic made of stamps. This is quite hard to see because the stamp is rather small, but I guess this is the spirit. I do not know if this attempt was a success and if this mosaic could enter into the Guinness Record Book at that time. I think that recently the largest stamp mosaic was done in Hong Kong.

No comments: