Thursday, June 11, 2009

New cover from Qatar

I’m happy to share with you my second cover received from Qatar! Thank you very much Rodel for this sending, I’m really glad to add it to my collection.
Three different stamps are used on the cover. Let’s start by the one which is attached to what I think is the margin of the sheet. It is part of a set of four stamps issued on the 18th of December 2008 to celebrate the National day. Here is the full set.


All stamps pictures part of a famous market located in Doha and named Souk Waqif. This souk is a very ancient one, dating from the time when Doha, the capital of Qatar, was still a small village. People gathered on the banks of the river to sell and buy goods. Because of the water there was not place to sit down on the banks, hence the name Souq Waqif which means “standing market”. The souk has really developed in the 20th century after the country reached some political stability. Heavy works to renovate the souk have been started in 2004 to recover its ancient look. Some modern buildings have been destroyed to show the old ruins that were hidden behind. If you are interested to know more about this place you can click here.
The stamps seem to have been printed in sheet with decorated margins as we can see on the cover. Unfortunately I could not find a picture of a full sheet on the web.

The second stamp is part of a large set of 20 stamps (and two souvenir sheets) dedicated to insects and issued on the 20th of July 1998. The stamp pictures a migratory locus (Locusta migratoria) which is the most common type of locus. Here is a picture of the full set (click also
here if you want to know more).
My first cover from Qatar was already franked with a stamp from this set.
Finally the last stamp is also part of a large set issued on the 26th of June 1999 and picturing old Islamic coins.
I was unfortunately not able to find more information about the coins that are pictured on the stamp of the cover, but here is a picture of the full set.


The postmark from Doha is a bit heavy but seems to have an interesting design.

I would like to take the opportunity of this post to say a big THANK YOU to all the readers, like Rodel, who sent me spontaneously a cover. This is always a great pleasure to find them in my mail box, when I’m back from a hard day of work. And it is always a great pleasure looking for information about the stamps that are used on them. Also a message to everybody who is expecting a cover from me: it will come, don’t worry. I’ know I’m late, but time is running so quickly that I have never the time to do all what I have to do. Sorry of this delay.

No comments: