Monday, May 11, 2009

A nice cover from India… spoiled by manual cancellation

Here am I, back from a three days weekend in Marseille where I celebrated my 43rd birthday. Time is running so quickly! I hope this week I will have a bit more time to spend on stamps and to update my blog than last week.

Today I would like to share with you a cover I received from India. A nice cover, which unfortunately was spoiled again by manual cancellation. I guess that for any reason the cover escaped from “normal” cancellation and that at one point a postal clerk thought that this was a good idea to cancel the stamps using a stroke of a pen. Look at the result.

This is really a pity. The sender had taken care to use large stamps to frank his letter. The result with a clean postmark would have been great, I think.
Anyway this should not prevent me from giving you some background information about the stamps.

The three large stamps located on the right side of the cover belong to a set issued on the 14th of November 2008 to celebrate the national Children Day. As already done in the past, for this purpose India post organized a Stamp Design Competition among school children, the winners being selected for the stamp designs. The theme of this year was “India of my dreams”. I guess the kids who have won must be very proud to see their drawings on stamps franking letters sent all over the world!
As far as I could see, India post has issued stamps for the Children’s day since 1957 and since 1973 Children’s drawings are used for the design of these stamps.

The 2008 set also contains, in addition to these three stamps, a souvenir sheet.


The last large stamp used on the cover is part of a set of four stamps issued on the 8th of October 2008 to celebrate the platinum jubilee (i.e. the 75th anniversary of the Indian Air Force). A souvenir sheet has also been issued picturing the four stamps.

I must admit that I’m not too much into military things and stamp designs…

The last stamp of the cover is a definitive stamp belonging to the Natural heritage series. It was issued on the 30th of April 2000 and pictures a leopard cat (Prionailurus bengalensis).

1 comment:

Singapore Stamps said...

Nice website. Care to exchange links?
http://singaporestamps.blogspot.com