Monday, May 18, 2009

A Japanese FDC

A short week begins for me. Only three days at work, and then a four days weekend that I’m going to spend in Edinburgh, Scotland, for the H Cup final. I’m really thrilled, even if there is no French team involved in the final anymore.

To start this new week, I have selected a nice FDC that I received recently from Japan. As always I’m very impressed by the reddish first day cancel that you can find on FDC from Japan.



The FDC is for the stamp on the right side, the large stamp. It is a part of a set of two stamps issued on the 10th of April 2009 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko's wedding.
Akihito (born in 1933) is the 125th and current Emperor of Japan. He acceded to the throne in 1989. He married Michiko Shoda (born in 1934) on the 10th of April 1959 and she became Empress Michiko.
The stamp pictures a fan. The second stamp of the set pictures a silver bonbonnière (a French word for a candy box). Both stamps have been issued in a souvenir sheet. I could only find a very tiny picture of the souvenir sheet, sorry.

I tried to find more information about the design of these stamps but without much success.

The second stamp on the cover is a part of definitive series that
I already mentioned here in my blog.

The red cancel is really impressive. I do not really know what the meaning of the two birds is, but as far as I could find out, the circular design between the two birds is the Imperial seal of Japan.

The postmark from Osaka is also very clean. A really nice FDC to be added to my collection!

1 comment:

jonnyg said...

I think the cranes are symbolic of matrimonial fidelity in Japanese culture. They mate for life.