Friday, April 24, 2009

My first cover from Tanzania

I’m thrilled to share with you today my first cover from Tanzania! I got it from one of the cover exchange circuits I belong to.

It is postmarked (heavily!) from Dar Es Salam and is franked with three different stamps.
Going from right to left, the first stamp we see is part of a set of four stamps issued on the 16th of September 1991 to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the United Nations Development Program (
UNDP). On the stamp is inscribed the principal of this program: helping people to help themselves! The three other stamps of the set depict various actions that are part of the program. Sorry, I was not able to find a picture of the full set.
The next stamp which is rotated 90° on the right is part of a set of seven stamps and one souvenir sheet. Even if the stamp is inscribed 1991, it has been issued in 1992, actually on the 8th of March 1992. The set is fully dedicated to fishes of Tanzania, and the stamp on the cover pictures a Aphysoemion bivittatum (I could not find the common name for this fish).
I had quite hard time to identify the last stamp. In fact it is a rather recent issue, too recent to be in my 2007 Scott catalogue. I searched on the Net for information about the stamp and I finally found it on the place where I should have looked at first: Tanzanian post office website! The stamp is part of set of 10 stamps issued on the 15th of August 2008 and picturing fauna of Tanzania marine parks. This stamp pictures an Anemone fish, often called also Clown fish.

Fishes seem to be a very common subject for stamps produced by the Tanzanian postal administration. A gold mine for fish stamps collector ;-)
Myself, I’m glad to add one country in the list of places from where I received mails!



No comments: