Tuesday, March 03, 2009

A new cover from Singapore

I recently received a nice cover from a fellow blogger, Edmund, from Singapore. He noticed I hadn’t show so many covers from his country so he sent me the one I selected for today. Thank you very much Ed!

The stamp located on the left side belongs to a set of definitive stamps issued in 2001 and picturing tropical marine fishes. The stamp pictures a yellow-faced angelfish (Pomacanthus xanthometopon). The full set is rather colourful, so I don’t resist to the pleasure of showing it.



A souvenir sheet has also been issued.


The stamp in the middle belongs to a very nice set of definitive stamps issued on the 6th of June 2007. You can read about this set on Edmund’s blog.

The stamp located on the right side belongs to a set of four stamps issued on the 12th of November 2008 and dedicated to cash crops of early Singapore, cash crops meaning here crops that are grown for money. The stamp pictures pepper (Piper negrum), a widely known spice. The black pepper is in fact the whole fruit that has been dried, whereas the white pepper is the fruit that has been retted in water and its skin removed.
Here is a picture of the whole set, the other stamps picturing tapioca, rubber and nutmeg.


Edmund was kind enough to join with his cover a letter providing information about those stamps and their date of issue. It made me think about something I always regret about the cover exchange circuits that I belong to. I regret that nobody provides information about the stamps they used on the cover: the purpose of the issue, the date of issue and any interesting background information. I think it could be good to have such mandatory rule in a cover exchange club. Do you know any that applies this rule? Or should we create it altogether?

1 comment:

eD@HoMe said...

Hi Eric,
It's my pleasure.
Will send you a set of stamps from Singapore soon.
Cheers,
Ed