Monday, March 23, 2009

My first cover from Malta

(I have started preparing this post at the beginning of the week, and I have been so busy after my trip to Rome that I could not finish it and publish it!
Thank you for all the nice comments and emails I got about my article on streets of Paris. I’m thinking already of the next one, but it takes time to gather information and, as you understood, time is what I’m missing these days…)


I’m glad today to share with you my first cover received from Malta!

This is a rather nice cover that I received through one of exchange circuit that I belong to. The two stamps located on the right side belongs to a set of three issued on the 7th of March 2008 to commemorate Beijing Olympic Games. Here is a picture of the third stamp of the set.


Malta has already participated to 13 Olympic Games since 1928 and has never won any medals. The stamps are rather classic, picturing some sport related pictograms.

The last stamp of the cover belongs to a set of five stamps issued on the 29th of December 2007 and commemorating various anniversaries and celebrating various people. The stamp on the cover celebrates the 100th anniversary of the
Society of Christian Doctrine.
Here is a picture of the full set.




The other stamps of the set commemorate the anniversary of the creation of the Youth Football Association (first one from the left). The other stamps celebrate Canon Monsignor Professor Francesco Bonnici, Patri Manwel Magri and Carolina Cauchi.

I must admit that I do not know much about the stamps from Malta, but it seems that subjects related to religion are very common on Maltese stamps.

2 comments:

Benedikt said...

Very nice cover you got there from Malta. It's also interesting to notice that it only costs 24 cents to send a card from Malta to France. The Maltese pound must have one of the highest, or maybe the highest, value of all the worlds currencies.

Jean Noel Cutajar said...

Hey there!

Congrats on you first Maltese cover! Just to inform you that tomorrow another set from Malta is going to be issued, and it is related to the Olympic games as well, because it's gonna deal witht he 13th Games of the Small States of Europe, which will be going to start tomorrow in Nicosia. These games are normally an important test to the small nations' athletes and an important guage in testing their fitness prior the Olympic Games.