Monday, February 02, 2009

First registered cover from Serbia

Today Paris has wakened up with 2 to 3 centimeters of snow in the street, triggering the usual mess, traffic jams and accidents. What a thermal shock for me after the 30°C that I experienced in Sydney two weeks ago!

I’m thrilled because today I will show you the first cover I received from Serbia! This is a nice registered cover that I did not get trough a cover exchange circuit but this is a cover that an Ebay seller used to send me an item I bought. It was really a nice surprise to get a cover from this country, and as you will see the stamps used on the cover are really nice.
The two identical stamps, located on the top right corner, belong to a set of two stamps issued on the 11th of November 2008 and dedicated to traditional children’s costumes. Here is a picture of both stamps of the set.


The stamp on the left, the one used on the cover, pictures a costume from the Kumodraz region, the region of Belgrade. The second stamp pictures a costume from the Sumadija region. These stamps have been issued in the form of sheetlets of nine stamps plus one illustrated label as show here.

This format is a bit surprising, why 9+1 and not 10 stamps directly? Note that the margin of the sheet is inscribed in various languages, among which the French language.

The other stamps of the cover belong to a very beautiful set of four stamps issued on the 25th of September 2008 and dedicated to the grapes and vineyards of Serbia. The four stamps have been issued in se-tenant band including a label. Five different labels exist as shown on the picture of the full sheet.



I think that this set of stamp is extremely well designed. The result is really beautiful. I must admit that I did not know that wine was produced in Serbia. The main varieties of wine produced in Serbia are: Belgrade Seedless, Prokupac, Sauvignon, "Italian Riesling", Cabernet, Chardonnay, White and Red Burgundy, Hamburg, Muscat, Afus Ali, Vranac, Tamjanka, Krstac, Smederevka, and Dinka.
The four stamps illustrate four different regions. I was not able to identify them all: only Zupa (located in the south esat of Belgrade) and Vrsac (located in the North east of Belgrade).
Once again the margin of the sheet is written is various languages including French.

Have you aver tasted a Serbian wine
?

No comments: