Monday, December 22, 2008

Commonwealth games

I’m finally back on line! I must apology for the lack of update of my blog since several weeks. As you may have seen I was travelling for professional reason without much time to write about stamps, and last week, once I came back from all my trips, I got sick. Nothing very severe, but annoying enough to disturb my daily life. I feel much better even though I haven’t recovered completely. But I feel strong enough to write few lines on my blog.
I would like also to apology to all the readers who are expecting something from me. I’m awfully late in sending mails, so if you are still waiting something from me, please be patient. Thanks a lot!


For today I have selected a nice cover that I have received some times from India. Thank you very much, Mansoor, for this nice sending.



The cover is franked with two different sets of stamps. The first one, a band of four se-tenant stamps, has been issued on the 12th of October 2008 to commemorate the 3rd Commonwealth Youth Games that have been held from the 12th to the 18th of October 2008 in Pune. This is the first time that the Commonwealth youth Games were held in Asia, since the first edition was held in 2000 in Edinburg (Scotland) and the second one in Bendigo (Australia).
In the 2008 edition, India made a very good result winning 33 gold medals, 26 silver medals and 17 bronze ones, putting it at the first place of the competition!
The first stamp of the set, the one located on the left part of the band, pictures the mascot of this 3rd Youth Games, Jigrr. Jigrr is the younger brother of Shera that I will present below. Jigrr is an amalgam of the Hindi word Jigar (meaning courage) and the sounds of the roar of a tiger.
The other stamps of the set picture various sports that are part of the competition: wrestling, badminton and hurdles.
This se-tenant band of four stamp has also been issued in the form of a souvenir sheet.





The border of the sheet pictures again Jigrr, and the logo of the Games, that mixes tradition and modernity with an ancient seal bearing the name of Pune (the host city) and a modern pictogram. At the bottom of the sheet you can also see the pictograms of the nine sports that were part of the competition: athletics, badminton, boxing, shooting, swimming, tennis, table tennis, weight lifting and wrestling.

The isolated stamp on the cover has been issued on the 18th of October 2008 to celebrate the 19th Commonwealth Games that will be held in 2010 in Delhi.
The stamp pictures Shera, the mascot of the competition. Shera is a Royal Bengla Tiger, the national animal of India, and is the sister of Jigrr.

The stamp was issued also in the form of a souvenir sheet.


Interestingly this souvenir sheet pictures the mascot of the last eight editions of the Commonwealth games:
- Kegano for the 1978 Games held in Edmonton (Canada)
- Matilda for the 1982 Games held in Brisbane (Australia)
- Mac for the 1986 games held in Edinburg (Scitland)
- Goldie for the 1990 Games held in Auckland (New Zealand)
- Kleewych for the 1994 Games held in Victoria (Canada)
- Wina for the 1998 Games held in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
- Kit for the 2002 Games held in Manchester (Great Britain)
- Karah for the 2006 Games held in Melbourne (Australia)

The first Commonwealth Games were held in 1930, since then they are held every four years.

Just to be complete, I already wrote about a similar postmark than the one of the cover. You read about it
here.

3 comments:

MBstamps said...

HI Eric,

Nice to see you back with your blog and that too with my cover. I hope you are fine now. I also take this oppurtunity to wish you a very Happy CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR

Mansoor.

chickenstampy6669 said...

Eric, wish you a Merry Christmas and a good and healty 2009.

Cees

Gulfmann Stamps Collection said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.