Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Frogs carousel

I’m on the good way to get back on track and to be able to update my blog more regularly. Today I would like to share with you a very nice postcard I received from Lenka. Thank you very much Lenka for this nice surprise.
First of all here is the picture side of the card, a nice frogs carousel !
My knowledge of Czech language is rather limited so I’m not really able to tell you what the small text means. I would be happy to get some information about this.
Here is the recto side.


As you can see on the right border, the postcard is franked with a stamp attached to two labels. This set is a part of a souvenir sheet that I have already
mentioned some months ago in my blog. The stamp pictures a couple of kingfishers (Alcedo athis), while the upper label pictures a set of Greylag gooses (Anser anser).

As you can imagine I’m particularly interested in the bottom label that pictures a couple of Green frogs (Rana esculenta, which is now called Pelohylas kl esculentus). This species of frog is also called commonly the Edible frog because it is the type of frogs that is used for food, as in France, where frog’s legs is a famous meal (By the way French people have the reputation to eat frogs, mainly among English people, but I must say two things : first we are not the only ones, I saw frog’s legs served in a Chinese restaurant in Shanghai, and secondly this is not so common to eat frogs in France !).
What is interesting on this label is that the male is pictured with its two vocal sacs inflated : such vocal sacs are present in almost all frogs species. It is used by males to emit a sound to attract the females. Sometimes the vocal sac is unique and located under the head, but for the Green frog there are two small sacs located on both sides of the head.
There are no so many stamps that picture a frog with inflated vocal sacs, even though this is a very specific characteristic of this animal.

The other stamp located on the card is part of a souvenir sheet issued on the 19th of June 2002 and picturing endangered butterflies species. Here is a picture (I know, it is small, I did not find a bigger one, sorry) of the sheet.


The stamp on the card pictures the scarce Large Blue butterfly (Maculinea teleius).

Also to be noted, the very nice postmark from Praga 2008, a philatelic exhibition that was held in Prague from the 12th to the 14th of September 2008. If you want to know more about this event, you can check the
official website.
I don’t know anything about the two other blue postmarks, if Lenka has any information I will be happy to get it.



No comments: