Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Frogs, frogs, frogs...

Today I would like to share with you the findings I made last weekend related to my frog stamp collection.

The first one is a new issue from Moldova, a souvenir sheet issued on the 19th of August 2008 picturing endangered plants.


As you can see, the souvenir sheet contains a label, on the left bottom corner, that pictures a small frog !
The souvenir sheet contains three stamps that picture various species of plants :
- 1 L. : Maianthemum bifolium, commonly known as the false lily of the valley
- 3 L.: Hepatica nobilis (this scientific name is the old one, it is now called Anemone hepatica) : commonly known as the liverwort. This is a medicinal plant that was used by medieval herbalists to treat liver diseases
- 5 L. : Nymphaea alba : commonly known as the Nenuphar, or the European white water Lilly

I made this finding by visiting the very interesting site dedicated to
Former Soviet Union New issues.

My second finding is a souvenir sheet from Indonesia, issued in 1999. So this is not a new issue but I must confess that, up to now, I hadn’t detected that there was a frog on this souvenir sheet. Here it is.




The subject of this issue is pets. I let you see all the animals that are pictured on this sheet, and in case you did not see it, the frog is on the bottom margin of the souvenir sheet.
Two new additions to my already large frog stamps collection…

No comments: