Friday, July 11, 2008

German cover and souvenir sheet

I’m writing these lines from Germany. I just had a two days technical workshop in Stuttgart and I’m now at the airport, waiting for my plane to Paris. Weather is really hot here, hot and wet. The nice beer that I’m having while writing these lines is not enough to cool me down ;-)
As I’m Germany I decided to show a cover from Germany today. A very simple (since it bears only one stamp) but rather nice. Here it is.

Before speaking about the stamp, just look at this very nice and clean postmark from Munster. I’m really impressed !
The stamp has been issued on the 7th of September 2006 to commemorate the 650th anniversary of the Hanseatic league. It is a part of a joint issue with Sweden. I have already written about the Swedish issue in a previous article, because it picture St Erik ! Just click
here to read about it.
This cover was sent to me by another stamp collector. Inside the cover there was a very nice souvenir sheet containing four stamps, that I really wanted to show you.


This souvenir sheet was issued on the 14th of June 2007 to celebrate the 175th anniversary of the birth of Wilhelm Bush. Wilhelm Busch (1832 - 1908) was a German caricaturist, painter and poet who is known for his satirical picture stories. He is still regarded as one of the most humorous poet and illustrator in Germany.
One of his first picture stories, Max and Moritz (published in 1865), was a huge success. Max and Moritz as well as many of his other picture stories are regarded as one of the main precursors of the modern comic strip.
The comic strip illustrated on this souvenir sheet pictures Hans Huckebein a troublesome raven. Below the stamps a short poem in German tells the story of Hans Huckebein, who eats part of the compote prepared by Aunt Lotte. When she discovers this, Aunt Lotte is upset and makes him flee. But why fleeing he walks in the compote and spoils the clean clothes that Aunt Lotte just ironed ! It seems that Hans Huckebein is a recurrent character that could be seen in various strips from Wilhelm Bush.
I really like this souvenir sheet, it is really beautiful. Thanks again Uwe for having sent it to me !




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Eric,

I really find hard to use Souvenir sheets as using only a part of them if they contain more than 2 stamps spoils all the "Beauty" of them !!
But thankfully as you have shown Germany doesn't issue too many of them and I think max. no. of stamps they have are four.
Also the souvenir sheet issued by Spain for their "Europa" issue is very nice....Thanks for showing it...
The PostEurope holds a competition very year once all the "Europa" stamps are released....you could vote for the best design and earn a good prize !! Here is the link for same....

http://www.posteurop.org/index.jsp?nodeId=18715&isoCode=en

Try your luck !!
Kind Regards,
Kalpana