Monday, June 09, 2008

Hungarian cover

I spent some time during the week to scan stamps and covers for my website and my blog. Among the cover I scanned, there is this cover received recently from Hungary.

A very simple but rather nice cover, isn’t it ? The postmark is very clean and well positioned on the stamps. Let’s talk about the stamps.
The first one, on the left side, was issued on the 28th of February 2008. This is the traditional Easter issue from Magya posta, the Hungarian postal administration. The stamp picture decorated eggs. Decorating eggs seems to be a very traditional artistic activity in Hungary. Those eggs were painted by Csaba Mosonyi, an Hungarian artist, who inherited the tradition of eggs drawing from her grand mother. The eggs are decorated using wax and painting.
I have seen such eggs drawing in another country, Romania, during one of my professional trip. I have even brought back a very nice egg. The design is very impressive. As you can imagine, these items are very fragile. I remember that I had to use some tricks so that the egg would not be crashed in my luggage during the flight back to Paris !

The second stamp was issued on the 20th of April 2004. It is a part of a set of four stamps, issued to commemorated the 150th anniversary of
Zsolnay, a porcelain factory. The stamp pictures a mocha set, dated from 1999 and decorated with a motif picturing a Ginkgo biloba, a very ancient tree considered as a living fossil, that can be found in China.
The four stamps have also been issued in the form of a souvenir sheet that I really like, so I decided to share it with you.


The three other stamps picture (from left to right) : a vase with Persian flowers from 1883, a vase with twin riders from 1902 and a vase with medieval silk brocade design from 1924.

No comments: