Tuesday, April 01, 2008

A new Japanese cover

(I’m very sorry that I was not able to update my blog more regularly these last days. Since my trip to Shanghai, few weeks ago, my professional life has become crazy and I haven’t much time to think about stamps. I also have tons of emails that I should answer to. And also tons of mails to send. Sorry for being so late, if you are waiting something from me. It should be better starting next week. This week I still have a three days trip to Stuttgart, and then my tour is completed… until next time !)
(I would like to take opportunity of this short post to thank all the people who have sent me recently some nice covers, postcards or others. This is very nice and I’m very happy. As I said at the beginning, my answers should come soon now !)

I recently showed, in a previous post, a cover coming from Japan and bearing some old stamps. Few days ago I received another one, from the same sender. Again the cover is stamped with rather old stamps, which is a nice idea. Here is the cover.

The two first stamps, starting from the left, belong to the same set. A set of three stamps issued on the 20th of April 1971 and commemorating the centenary of the first Japanese postage stamp. The stamps picture a mailman and a railroad post office. The third stamp of the set (not on this cover) picture a young girl putting a letter in a mail box. The first Japanese stamps was effectively issued on the 20th of April 1871. It pictures two dragons facing the indication of the face value. I could find a picture of this first stamp. It seems that there are a lot of forgeries of this stamp, so if you own it, take care.

The last stamp of the cover is a more recent one. It was issued on the 30th of September 1996 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Community chest, a worldwide charity organisation. The red feather pictured on the stamp is actually the emblem of the Community chest.

This is not the first time (and surely not the last one) that I show a cover from Japan. I regularly receive some very nice ones through the Asian Covers Collector Club that I belong to since now more than one year…

No comments: