Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Mail from Malaysia

The last weeks I received two letters from Malaysia sent by readers of my blog. In order to thank them I would like to share with you those covers. The first one is stamped with a recent stamp issue picturing Malaysian bridges.




This set of four stamps was issued on the 28th of February 2008. They picture famous bridges of Malaysia. From left to right and top to bottom :

- Merdeka bridge : it is a major bridge in Malaysia upon the Muda river. It was opened in 1957 when Malaysia as Malaya gained independence, hence its name (Merdeka meaning Independence in Malay)
- Kota bridge : it is the first double-decked bridge in Malaysia. It is located in Klang, Selangor. The old bridge, opened in 1961, was closed to traffic in the '90s and a new one is located beside of the old bridge
- Sungei Segamat Bridge : it was built in 1933
- Victoria Bridge : it is the oldest railway bridge in Malaysia, situated in Karai, at the state of Perak. Its construction started in 1879 and it was officially opened in 1900.

I know that some of my readers collect bridges on stamps, so I’m sure this issue will interest them !

Here is the second cover.

First thing to notice is the frog stamp, of course. It is extracted from a souvenir sheet that I have already presented here.
The second stamp pictures a famous tower from Malaysia : the Petronas twin tower. The stamp belongs to a set of three stamps and one souvenir sheet issued on the 30th of August 1999 and dedicated to this tower. I could not find a scan of the two other stamps and of the souvenir sheet, sorry for that. The Petronas twin tower has now become a trademark of Malaysia and more precisely of Kula Lumpur. If you want to learn more about it, you can check
the wikipedia article. This twin tower is no more the tallest building on earth, but it remains the tallest twin tower. It has appeared already on a relevant number of stamps issued by Malayisan post. I wonder if it has been pictured on a stamp from another country. Any idea ? (nothing to win here ;-) ).

I would like again to thank the senders of these covers, and also to thank all people who send me cover from their country so that I can show them here, on my blog. Thanks a lot.

1 comment:

BUTTERFLY said...

Yes you have lovely stamps of Malaysia.If you need more please contact me.I live and work here.