Monday, March 03, 2008

Frog stamp from Austria

Since the beginning of the year, already three postal administrations have issued stamps picturing a frog : Ireland, Finland and Austria. Today I’d like to speak about the stamp issued by Austria, that I received from Kalpana (Thank you VERY much for your sending. Don’t hesitate to tell me what you would like to get in exchange). I was not informed about this issue, so the letter from Kalpana was a big and very good surprise !So here is the self-adhesive stamp issued on the 25th of February by Austrian post.

It pictures a European Tree Frog (Hyla arborea) a very common frog in Europe and also Asia. This frog species has been pictured several times on stamps. You can see some of them on the related page of my website. To be noted : this is the first stamp issued by Austria picturing an identifiable frog.
This stamp was issued together with another one, picturing a kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) a waterside bird that eats mainly fishes, as shown on the stamp !


The face value of the stamps (0.65 euro) corresponds to the rate of a standard mail from Austria to European countries. Those stamps have been issued in a sort of booklet, with a not-so-traditional presentation : a sheet containing five frog stamps and five kingfisher stamps with a hole so that the sheet can be hung on a sort of display unit. I do not know if it means that these stamps are available in other places than post offices, such as supermarkets ?Here is a picture of the full sheet.

The back side of the sheet contains information about the two animals pictured on the stamps (in German, of course).

Kalpana was kind enough to send me also a FDC for both issues. Here they are. Look at them they are very very nice.
















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Eric,

I am Glad you liked the stamps & Covers and thanks for showing them on your blog !

What I would really like is if you could post me a cover with the Tintin stamps.

Thanks in advance & Kind Regards,
Kalpana

Anonymous said...

Love that frog cover with frog cancel!!

Eurostamper said...

Hi,

Great scans and descriptions!

I like this blog. I wrote a review of it on my blog at http://europe-stamps.com/blog/stamp-blog-review-my-philately.

Just one question: why frogs and toads? :)