Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Brazilian beaches

I’m writing this (quick) post from my hotel room in Shanghai using an internet connection which is not very stable. I hope I will be able to reach the end of this article. The jet lag has definitely won and I feel really sleepy.

For today I have selected a cover that I received from Brazil through a cover exchange circuit.



The three se-tenant stamps have been issued on the 15th of June 2001 and pictures famous Brazilian beaches. The beaches that are pictured are, from left to right :
- The
Jericoacoara beach, that has been considered by the Washington Post one of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world ! it is the best spot in Brazil for windsurfers, where the wind season starts in August and goes until December
- Ponta Negra beach
- Rosa beach
I have never been to Brazil, so I never had the chance to experience those beaches !

The stamp located on the far right was issued on the 23rd of November 2001 for Christmas. It pictures a very traditional Christmas scene : the Magi (the three wise men) visiting Joseph and Mary after the birth of Jesus.

The last stamp was issued on the 31st of May 2001 to commemorate the World tobacco free day. This special day, also known as the World No Tobacco day, is an event created by the World Health Organization in 1988 and which is held every year on the 31st of May. This is the occasion for several countries to organize manifestations promoting the reduction of the consumption of tobacco. I don’t know if 2001 corresponds to the year when Brazil joined this event, or why a stamp was issued this specific year (I did not find any other stamp from Brazil on the same subject) ?

One last other thing : I have activated the moderation of the comments on my blog in order to avoid SPAM and abusive comments. It is a pity because it will delay the publication of the comments you may let, but I think this is safer this way. Thanks Cees for the tip.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Mon cher ami francais,
Pouvez-vous me dire comment vous avez reussit a connectioner a bogger en chine?

Il me semble que j'ai jamais reussi a faire ca a cause de probleme politique

Maintenant ca marche ou vous utilisez l'autre moyen??

Pouvez vous me dire?

mon email
bdreader@gmail.com

Je vous remercie

un collection chinois

magician said...

Wow! Eric,
I really enjoy your sharing of all the stamps details in your blog.
But how do you managed to find out all of them? I'm having trouble in checking details of some of my stamps, not great collection, but it would be fun to know the story behind their issues.
Do you make use of the catalog that you have? If there is any site in Internet that I can search, appreciate any pointers. Currently I'm trying to find out details about some Russian stamps. So far only managed the info as "Russia 1996 Alexander Gorski Ballet".
Anyway, thanks for your blog.

Magician