Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Year of the Rat souvenir sheet from Canada

Today I am happy and I am not at the same time ! First I’m happy because I received from Glenn a wonderful cover franked with the year of the rat souvenir sheet from Canada. Thanks a lot Glenn. And I’m not happy because it came somehow un-cancelled, and some postal clerk thought it would be a good idea to cancel it with a Biro. What a waste !
Here is the cover anyway.

To illustrate the year of the rat, the Canadian post has decided to use an old Chinese tale about the wedding of a little mouse. In this tale a father mouse looks for the perfect husband for his daughter. He speaks with the sun, the wind, the clouds and even a wall, before discovering that the perfect husband is a mouse of his own community ! The souvenir sheet that you can see on the cover bears one stamp picturing the future husband, the daughter being pictured on the left border of the sheet. In the background of the stamp are illustrated the sun, the wind, the clouds and the wall that were discarded by the father mouse. All around them you can see the eleven other Chinese zodiacal animals; they all carry presents for the wedding of the mice.
The full set issued by Canada post on the 8th of January also includes a single stamp picturing the little daughter mouse as illustrated on the left part of the block.

People born in 1900, 1912, 1924, 1936, 1948, 1960, 1972, 1984, 1996 and now 2008 are a Rat in the Chinese zodiacal system. According to Chinse astrology, the people born in the year of the Rat are smart, charming and generous with people they love, but they easily get angry and easily critic others. They made good writers, critics or journalists. They are good worker, and they usual attract people from opposite sex. Family is very important for people born during the year of the Rat.
If you are curious to know, I was born in the year of Horse…

2 comments:

Gem from Calgary said...

Hi Eric,
I , too, am sorry for the condition of the cover I sent. I posted it on 08Jan , so that it would get a first day of issue date stamp. And now in fact , it didn't get any date stamp.Please accept my apology , even thoúgh it is out of my control. I will try and make it up to you sometime soon.
Regards,
Glenn

Eric from Jura said...

Hi Eric,

I've also received from Glenn the same wonderful cover with the Year of the Rat M/S.
And like you, the M/S arrived to me uncancelled...I don't really know why ?? the postman used also a pen to cancel my letter...
Bye
eric