Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Cover from Netherlands

I had prepared a post about a first day ceremony that I have attended to during the weekend, but as I could not find the time to scan the associated items I will postpone this post to tomorrow or the next days. So today I would like to show you a cover from Netherlands sent by a regular reader of my blog : Piet. Thank you Piet for this sending and also for the previous one which was also very nice.

(I must reveal a terrible truth : I do not speak Dutch ;-) So I had quite some hard time finding information about the stamps on the cover, since I only found website in Dutch. Hopefully the translation tools of Google were powerful enough to help me.)

The stamp located on the far right was issued on the 2nd of January 2008 to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the NVPH : the Dutch association of stamp dealers. As you can see, behind the big heart, the stamp pictures an accumulation of other stamps. They are rather small, but some of them can anyway be identified if you know a bit the stamps from Netherlands.
The second stamp, located on the left of the previous one was also issued on the 2nd of January, but this time to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the NBFV, the Dutch association of stamp collectors. I must admit that the design of the stamp is quite a mystery for me : I do not really see the link with the event which is celebrated. As you see, Piet has also put the top margin of the sheet from where the stamp is extracted, and mentioning the 100th anniversary of the association (100 JAAR NBFV).
The last stamp, again on the left, belongs to a set of ten stamps issued on the 11th of December 2006. In January 2007 Netherlands has changed the postal rates. To follow this postal rate changes, TNT has issued this set of stamps, bearing the new internal postal rate (44 Eurocents). The ten stamps are illustrated by famous design from Netherlands. Here is the complete set of ten.




The stamp that Piet has put on the cover pictures a glass. This is a glass designed by Andries Copier (1901-1991) known as the “Gilde” glass. This very simple glass was designed in 1930. I did not find where the name “Gilde” comes from, if anybody has an idea ?
On the left bottom corner, Piet has illustrated the cover by sticking a picture of some recent stamps.
Look at the huge circle postmark. I’m always impressed by the size of the cancel from TNT. IT is also very clear and clean, which is rather nice.

On word about Piet. He has started, some years ago now, a fantastic collection of covers from all over the world. He has sent me the list of countries and places from where he has already received a cover, and I can tell you the list is really impressive. He has also sent me the list of places from where he still expect to get mails. I can not reproduce it here, but if you think you can help him to get mail from very specific places (such as one of the 12 Antarctic stations for instance) then drop me a mail and I’ll put you in contact with Piet.


1 comment:

Adrian said...

Hi Eric!
Great item!
I believe the birdies on the NBFV stamp are supposed to be carier pigeons.
Can't help you with your "Gilde" question. Gilde means guild in English or corps de métier in French but I'm not sure whether that has anything to do with it.
Keep up the good work! I'm rather slow at the moment but I'll be back!
:-)
Adrian