Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Very nice cover from Germany

The day of yesterday has gone so quickly that I could not find the time to update my blog and to share with you the item I had prepared. So let’s do it today. I have received this very nice cover some weeks ago already. It comes from Germany and was sent by a reader of my blog : thank you very much Kalpana for this cover, for your very nice letter and for the stamps/aerogrammes you sent me.


As you see the cover is franked with two copies of the same souvenir sheet. This souvenir sheet has been issued on the 1st of March 2007. It pictures the LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin. The LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin was a very large dirigible that was named after the German pioneer of airships, Ferdinand von Zeppelin (“Graf” being a rank in the German nobility). With a total length of 236.6 meters, the LZ 127 was the largest airship of that time.
It flew for the first time in 1928. In 1929 it flew all over the world in 21 days, 5 hours and 31 minutes. From 1930 to 1936 it was used for regular transatlantic trips between Europe and South America : the stamp on the souvenir sheet pictures also the route of these trips from Friedrichshafen to Buenos Aires. The usage of such airships decreased a lot after the accident of the Hindenburg in 1937and the LZ 127 was dismantled in 1940, its aluminum parts being used by the German war industry.
The LZ 127 has been pictured on several stamps from various countries. I think that this souvenir sheet is really nice. The tamp bears a surtax, but I do not know for which purpose this surtax is used. Additionally the stamp is written “tag der briefmarke” which means “stamps’ day” if my German is not too bad…
The cancel is also extremely nice : it pictures the same dirigible. The cancel is the one used during a stamp fair held between the 26th and the 28th of October in Sindelfingen, as indicated also by the label that is put on the cover under my address.
Nice cover, isn’t it ?

No comments: