Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Frogs on postmark

My topical collection about frogs does not include only stamps, but also postal stationeries and postmarks. Early in November, when I have visited the Salon d’automne, the stamp fair, I could not find any new stamps for my collection, but I could buy few covers bearing interesting postmarks picturing frogs. Here are the two nicest ones that I have bought.

The first one is a first day cancel of a UN stamp issue about endangered species. The stamp, issued by the office of Vienna, was issued on the 4th of April 2002 and picture a Sonoran green toad (Bufo retiformis). What is strange is that this toad can be found only in the area of Mexico, so I wonder why it was chosen for the Autsrian office. Anyway, as you see the very nice first day cancel reuses the same design than the stamp. I like it.
The second cancel is also a first day cancel, but what is very strange is that it is not applied on the stamp issued on this day, but on a standard Machin stamp. Here is the picture.



Back in March of 2000 Royal Mail issued the Water and Coast stamps. They were the third instalment in a total of 12 sets issued as part of the Millennium Projects series. The complete set comprised of four stamps featuring photographs, both in black and white and colour, representing different coastal aspects of Britain. One of the stamp pictures frogs legs and water lilies in the first stamp that represented the has a good place in my collection. Here is the stamp.



As far as I understood the first day cancel that I showed above is the cancel of the first day of issue of this stamp. So I wonder how it could be applied on a Machin stamp. In France I don’t think this is possible : a first day cancel must be used only to cancel the associated stamps. Is it different in Great Britain ? Does anybody know ?






1 comment:

Adrian said...

Hi Eric,

I believe that you can send in any cover to Royal Mail and ask for a particular cancellation, as long as that cover has at least a 1st class postage stamp on it. I know this is the case for special cancellations like for congresses and other philatelic events for which a cancellation is designed, but it may well be possible for "ordinary" first day cancellations too. Another point may be that none of the millennium stamps had a value for letters to Europe (so there were no special stamps for Europe in more than two years, shame on Royal Mail!), so if what you have is a properly run cover (as opposed to just a cancelled cover that hasn't been near a post box)it could well be that the sender wanted to send the cover to Europe and therefore had to use an ordinary stamp.