Monday, October 15, 2007

On the road to the final

If you follow the 2007 Rugby World Cup you know that I am a bit disappointed : France has lost against England in the first semi-final. I’m not only disappointed because they lost, but also because they really did not play well. They could have won this match ! Well, that’s life. France will meet Argentina in the game for the third place (as a revenge of the first opening game that France lost!) and England will meet South Africa for the final (another revenge since South Africa has won 36-0 against England during the first round).

Why do I speak about rugby today ? It’s because I was asked by one of my reader to write about the first “moving stamp” issued by the French post. I did not speak about it before because it was mentioned in several other blogs, but as I’m asked to write about it I’ll do. First of all here is a picture of the stamp.

Yes, I know, it is not moving. If you want to see it moving just click here, and you’ll see it on the website of the French post. The stamp was issued on the 6th September to celebrate the start of the rugby world cup in France. The stamp picture a player kicking a penalty (or a drop goal ? I wonder… since we don’t see a tee, it should be a drop goal). Thanks to the moving effect you see the ball going between the poles.
Now some technical stuff. Such stamp is called a lenticular stamp. A lenticular print is an image that has been sliced into strips which are then interlaced with one or more other images. The image is then printed on the back of a series of
prism-like lenses. The lenses are lined up with each image interlace, so that light reflected off each strip is reflected in a slightly different direction, but all strips from the same image are sent in the same direction. The result is that a single eye looking at the print will see a single whole image, but another eye at different position will see a different image because of the different angle of view. How different depends on the lenses used, the number of original images, and how different the original images were from each other. These specific printing techniques are used to create images that are moving when flipped over the eye, or also 3D effect.

This is the first time that French post uses such effect. But this is clearly not the first time it is used on stamps. I have in mind a stamp from Netherlands for the 2006 Olympic winter games, picturing a moving skater. I have also mentioned on my blog a lenticular stamp from
Ireland and from Australia.
I remember some older stamps from Bhutan using a 3D effect and I wonder if they are using the same techniques… I have to search about it.

Does anybody, reading my blog, collect lenticular stamps ?

No comments: