Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Fauna souvenir sheet from Bulgaria

I am a member of several stamps exchange circuits. The good point of such associations is that this is an easy way to get stamps (and covers) from all over the world. Of course this is difficult to master the type, quality and origin of the stamps you receive : I prefer when people send stamps from their own country, even if they don’t fit into my topical interests. Sometimes you can get really nice surprises. Recently I received this cover from Bulgaria.

I was first interested by the stamp on the cover. I found it really nice. It was issued on the 21st of July to celebrate the Junior 470 World Championship that was held in Bourgas, between the 21st and the 29th of July. This is a nautical competition, the 470 being a type of boat. I really like the stamp, even if I’m not too much into nautical sports.Inside the envelope I found a set of mint stamps from Bulgaria, all related to fauna. Within these stamps there was this souvenir sheet that made me very happy.


Why ? Because if you look well at the right border of the sheet you will see … a frog ! A new item for my frog stamps collection ! This sheet has been issued on the 10th of September 2007 to commemorate the 15th anniversary of the natural reserve of Ropotamo. This reserve, located on the river of the same name, was officially created in 1992 and is very famous for its water lilies. The souvenir sheet shows some of the animals and plants that can be found there.
On the stamps are pictured :
- the European otter (Lutra lura)
- the sea eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla)
On the border of the sheet you can see some animals : three pygmy cormorants (Halietor pygmaeus) and two flathead mullets (Mugil cephalus), and some plants : some European white water lilies (Nymphaea alba) and Yellow water lilies (Nuphar latea).
The common names in Bulgarian and the scientific names of all animals and plants are written on the sheet. Except for the frog which is not a specific type of frog, just there to complete the design.

There were some other interesting items in the envelope but I keep them for a future article.

When looking for information about Bulgarian stamps I found this excellent website
http://stamps.dir.bg that I recommend if you are interested by stamps from this country.





No comments: