Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Cover from Japan and UNESCO World heritage

I have already shown here on my blog several nice covers from Japan. I got them all through the Asian Covers Collectors Club, of which I am a member. I recently received a new one that I would like to share with you today.

It is franked with a band of four se-tenant stamps that belong to a block of ten. This block has been issued on the 23rd of March 2007. Here is the complete block.




It is a part of the series “UNESCO world heritage” that picture the Japanese sites that have been retained by UNESCO as a world heritage site. The block of ten is dedicated to the Sacred Sites and Pilgrimage Routes located in the Kii mountain. Set in the forests of the Kii Mountains overlooking the Pacific Ocean, three sacred sites reflect the fusion of Shinto and Buddhism. Each of the sites contains shrines, some of which were founded as early as the 9th century.

The stamps of the cover picture one of pilgrimage routes, and one of shrine belonging to these sites. The fourth stamps pictures a statue that belongs to the national treasure.

This cover made me wonder how a site is chosen to become a “world heritage” site by UNESCO. After some research on the Web I found out the list of criteria used by UNESCO. I’m not going to list them all (there are ten) but you can read them on the UNESCO World Heritage Website. To be selected, a site must meet at list one of the ten criteria. The one represented on the stamps actually meet four of the ten criteria. Not bad !






2 comments:

msyanwu said...

Hum, Eric: Is there a website for this Asian club? How active is this club compare to CCCC?

bimbim said...

Hi Eric, I am a collector on world heritage sites. I am really interested in this cover. Could you let me know how and where to buy this cover? Thanks a lot.