Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Cover from Iceland

I haven’t received many covers from Iceland so far. I think I got only two. And the second one, that I got recently, made me very happy. It was sent by Benedickt, with whom I was in contact through Postcrossing. After reading my blog, he decided to send me a nice FDC from 1966 (the year of my birth). I will show you this FDC another time, but for today I wanted to show you the cover he used to send it to me.

As you see it is rather simple but nice. It is franked with a small souvenir sheet issued on the 7th of March 2002 to celebrate the 100Th anniversary of the birth of Halldor Laxness (1902-1998). He was an Icelandic author who received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1955. You can read his biography on the Nobelprize.org website.The souvenir sheet also pictures the medal of the Nobel prize of Literature. I must admit that this is the first time I saw how it actually looks like. Here is a better picture of it.


The medal represents a young man sitting under a laurel tree who, enchanted, listens to and writes down the song of the Muse. The latin inscription reads: Inventas vitam juvat excoluisse per artes loosely translated (Word for word: Inventions enhance life which is beautified through art.). The words are taken from Vergilius Aeneid, the 6th song, verse 663. The name of the Leaureate is engraved on the plate below the figures, and the text "ACAD. SUEC." stands for the the Swedish Academy. The Nobel Prize Medal for Literature was designed by Erik Lindberg.

Thank you Benedickt for this very nice cover (and for the FDC it contained)!

1 comment:

anthony said...

nice blogs, hope you have the time to read some of my philatelic blogs (treskeidecamania.blogspot.com)..just got the interest to blog my collecting interest. thank you in advance