Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Wooden stamps

Life is full of coincidences. Yesterday I have written about the 3D effect on the stamp from Argentina. When going back home, after a hard day work, while stuck in the traffic jam (holidays are over…) I was reading one of the last issue of Linn’s Stamp news (don’t worry, I do not read while I’m driving… In fact I do not drive at all. I travel by bus, therefore mixing the pleasure of the public transport and the traffic jams ;-) ). One of the article of Linn’s speaks about the Argentinean issue. In the same article, they speak about another stamp that has just been issued by Italy : a stamp on wood. This automatically reminded me the first time I saw a wooden stamp. This was in 2004, on the booth of the Swiss Post in a philatelic fair. I think this was the first time a wooden stamp was issued. I remember how fascinated I was by this stamp made of wood. In case you never saw it, here is a picture of it.


The stamp is actually made of fir, and is 0,7 mm thick. The design is impressive by its simplicity. I know, I know, some of you will tell me this is a gadget. And they are probably right. But I still find it very beautiful. I do not know if it was used very often on mail. At least it was used by me, because I took this opportunity to send some covers to some friends franked with this stamp. I was stupid enough to forget to send one to myself :-( So the only example I have on cover is on a mint FDC. This has not the same taste…
So you can imagine that when I read about this wooden stamp from Italy, I immediately wanted to see it. So when at home I searched on the web and I found it. Here it is.

It has been issued on the 2nd of July 2007. It pictures the façade of the Basilica of San Vincenzo in Galliano, Cantù, a church dating from the Early Middle Ages, consecrated in 1007. The stamp is self-adhesive and printed on a wooden sheet measuring 0.3 mm in thickness. The wood selected for this stamp is birch.


I was a bit disappointed because I think that the result is not so good. Or may be the stamp looks much better than on the scan.

Do you know any other wooden stamps ?

3 comments:

Jose said...

Hello...
Very interesting... stamps made from wood... Know anyone from Italy that could send one circulated cover with one of those stamps? Portugal will issue in the future... not a wooden stamp but one made of cork! Regards

chickenstampy6669 said...

Most paper is made from wood...So in the end a lot of stamps are made of wood....

Cees

Anonymous said...

hello , i have this stamp and it's very beautiful . looks much better than the picture .

gabriel-romania