Friday, September 21, 2007

Covers from Spain

I have recently received two nice covers from Spain. The first one is very colourful, as you can see.


The small stamp belongs to a set that I have already illustrated in my blog (click HERE to read the associated article). The colourful souvenir sheet has been issued on the 7th of April 2007, to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Madrid Movement (La Movida Madrileña). The Madrid Movement was a socio-cultural movement that took place in Madrid, during the first ten years after the death of Francisco Franco in 1975. It represented a new emerging Spanish cultural identity. Andy Warhol and his Factory movement have had a great influence in the main characters of the Movida. A lot of artists in all domains have been issued from this movement. The most famous one (at least for me) is the cineaste Pedro Almodovar. As far as I could find out, the text which is reproduced on the souvenir sheet (that I could not translate because I do not speak Spanish, unfortunately) is extracted from the edict of Enrique Tierno Galván, the mayor of Madrid at that time. But I could not find much information on the background illustration.
The postmark of the cover is also interesting : it bears a slogan that I understand as “For security use Fax and Burofax). A very clean postmark that does not actually cancel the stamps , by the way (it’s quite understandable, seeing the position of the stamps).

The second cover that I received is coming from Angel (thanks a lot).


The stamps of the cover have been issued on the 4th of July 2007 as an homage to the humanitarian and peace tasks carried out by the Spanish army all around the world. The stamp is devoted to the Armed Forces in Peace Missions, which act under the control of the UN. The stamp pictures the shoulders of uniformed soldiers. We can also see the famous blue cask, which is the symbol of these peace forces. And the earth glob symbolizes the fact that those forces may operate every where in the world.

(I’m having (once again) a three days weekend because of the Rugby World cup. I’m travelling to Edinburg to see New Zealand versus Scotland on Sunday. I’ll me back on my blog on Tuesday only. See you then.)

No comments: